Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Ama, Marc, Todd, call me



I finally got a call from Marc last night. I was a bit worried that my friends in DC had forgotten about me. I was really excited about hanging out with them while we were all in DC. Previous to last night, I had Marc and Todd several times, leaving only one message with each, and neither have returned my calls. I even tried calling WSBF where Ama works, to see if maybe Ama left Tim's number with one of them, no luck there. I sent a series of Instant Messages to Marc and WSBF. Again, no luck. It was a good thing that I finally got in touch with them. As Jessica put it, "All we need is another missing Ama story."

Until last night, I was wondering what was going on. I had went so far as to think that Ama was being held hostage. Maybe she had seen all my phone calls and IMs, but couldn't get untied long enough to send me a message back. Then I was hoping she'd be able to sneak away or something and call, as if she were some secret agent calling from a dark ally, why everyone else is up stairs partying on, not knowing she's gone off into the night to do her mission. That reminds me of True Lies, when Arnold Swartzzawaanagra is at a high class party, then sneaks off to do his secret agent work.

It's always exciting to show your friends the "other side" of yourself. I try to get all my Clemson friends into DC at some point, and try to bring all my DC friends to South Carolina. It's always interesting seeing someone's expression when they see a new side of you that they've never experienced. I used to have friends that would come visit me in Maryland, and they lived in New Jersey. I thought I knew them pretty well, until I visited New Jersey, and found out they're much deeper and dynamic. I always love to offer people that same inside into my life, and I love learning more about my friends.

I wanted to show Jessica around DC, but she moved to California before spring break. Now if things with Ama/Marc/Todd falls through, I'll be 0-and-2. Or maybe that would bump me to 0-5?

Benjamin Disraeli -- whoever that is -- once said, "What we anticipate seldom occurs, what we least expected generally happens." Is this going to be one of those times when I've looked forward and anticipated something for weeks, only to see it fall into one of those categories "seldom occurring"? After confiding in a friend of mine, Rachael, expressed her ideas on anticipation, "It is always the people who aren't held in anticipation that never get asked to do something." After three days of being in DC and not hearing from any of them, I was beginning to wonder if that was me.

I wonder what Harry Tasker -- Arnold's character in True Lies -- would have done to get in touch with his buddy, while in a far away place. Maybe I should be watching the sky's for flares or explosions. It's not like Ama's trying to escape from anywhere otherwise I'd be looking for high speed chases. But Ama likes to walk places instead of drive. So maybe I should be on the look out for an out of control power-walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment