Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Animal psycology 102


So, a chinese farmer in Warcraft let his friend borrow a weapon they found, and then he sold it on ebay, or a similar online auction place, for $1,100. Then the farmer stabbed the person in real life, because of this sword.



A few days ago I spoke of animal psycology, and this is an example of animal pyscology at its best. On my trip down from DC, I came accross 4 people who were doing 90 miles an hour down the road. They came up from behind me and quickly shifted lanes to get around. I jumped into the back of the line and continued with them. They looked like friends, in that, I notice that groups of people enjoy driving around at breakneck speeds. It's like a group of people skateboarding through town together.

Like geese constantly switching positions from alpha to omega positions, occasionally one of the cars would switch positions. If they wanted to lead the group, or go a bit faster, or change the speed of the group, they would go to the front. We followed the same pattern. The person in the front would put their blinker on, and we'd all follow suite, passing the same cars.

There is a big reason for a group of people speeding together, and wanting to speed together. Police are theoreticlly less likley to give you a ticket if you are in a group. This is because of the traffic mentality: if you do not stand out, or if the entire road is speeding, then the individual is not speeding. Just like animals in the wild, we banned together for safety. No communication was necessary, as we all understood why we were there.

We trusted the person in front of us. If someone shifted, we all did. The person behind me would watch for my blinkers, instead of watching for cops. Watching for cops was the alpha goose's job. It turns out none of these people were friends in real life. Eventually they all started peeling off the group to go to their individual locations. And every time one would leave, they would flash their high-beams, or hit their hazards, depending on the location in the group.

Finally, I peeled off to hit a rest stop. As I turned off, I flashed my high beams, and the person in front of me hit his hazards, to wave good bye. I never met these people, but there was a certain comrodary in knowing that we were there to look out for each other, in common interest. Animals, by nature, ask no questions and pass no criticism. There is no judgment amungst a group of animals fighting for the same thing. For those eighty miles, five people from differnt backgrounds, different ages, different political afiliation, different belifes, all banded together to travel in a common-good community. No judgment was past, no critisisms were made. We were just five animals banding togeter to avoid a predator's radar detector.

I was a goose amungst a street of hidden predators. We came accross two police on the way, and none of us got stopped. If I were by myself going 90 miles an hour, just like in the wild, a predator would have singled me out, as I was weak without numbers.

Animal psycology at it's best.

No comments:

Post a Comment